Key visual is?
Key visual is a key advertising image that is used to establish communication with the consumer. It conveys the essence of the advertising message and is easily remembered with the help of an image. The visual image in brand advertising serves to identify it and emphasize individuality and style. The brands key visual should form in the consumer’s mind a set of positive associations. The more positive associations a brand causes, the higher the sales will be.
The key visual consists of graphic elements that tell the story of the product, demonstrate its special characteristics. Therefore, the key visual is often much more dynamic than the logo. It looks more like a film poster (in contrast with ordinary advertisements).
Read more: Affiliate marketing
Key visual creation: development stages
- An internal audit of the company. We will find out all the pros and cons of the company in order to create advertising that will emphasize the brand identity and present it in the best way.
- Market analysis (competitors and target audience). At this stage, we will collect information about the current situation and create a portrait of a target consumer.
- Development of key visual ideas. Based on the collected data, we will brainstorm and come up with an idea around which we will build key visual.
- Creation of 3 key visual concepts. On the basis of invented ideas, we will make 3 concepts of the advertising image and present them to the client.
- Choosing 1 concept, its analysis, and improvement. After the presentation and selection of the finalist, we will improve and finalize it.
Key visual development: methods and rules
Buyers are often driven by emotions. Therefore, advertisers use certain methods to influence buyers perception of the advertising. Thus, successful brands do not simply tell consumers to buy their products, they make them render decisions based on emotions.
A color is a powerful tool because it can affect our mood. Choosing the right color requires a psychological understanding of how each tint affects the perception of visualization. However, there is no ideal or generally accepted color scheme for a wide audience or even a specific socio-cultural group. Advertisements, posters and billboards use color to attract the attention of the audience. Different colors cause different feelings.
Read more: Email marketing
Repetition is used in advertising as a way to keep a brand or product in the minds of consumers. Repetition can make customers more familiar with the brand, but it can also tire them. To be effective, repetitions must be used to the right extent, since its surplus may be counterproductive to an advertising strategy. Repetition should be carefully planned and provided in sufficient doses.
Another powerful method is the full confidence method. It is most difficult to use because the main character in key visuals must completely trust to the message of the brand. Viewers can detect even the slightest doubt, hesitation or fear. As a result, they will find the advertisement somewhat unreliable. In real life, the gaze is a signal that plays an important role in social interaction and communication. A direct look at someone implies a requirement or question, as well as waiting for an answer. The same principle works even with a static image.
Another important principle is the advertising concept of the association. Whenever we see an image of people having a good time, we automatically associate their condition with the product they use. The harmonious and skillful use of gestures, attitudes, facial expressions and movements leads viewers to buy a product and promote a brand.
The basic compositional technique, which is implemented by dividing the image vertically and horizontally with the usage of an imaginary grid. According to this technique, important elements should be placed at the intersection of horizontal and vertical lines. Vector lines direct our eyes to the most important information in advertising. The inclusion of a vector based image depends on the subject, product, image, direction and general appearance of the marketing campaign. Focus points are used to emphasize the most important part of the design. Focal points can be created using colors, shapes, and spaces. A successful design is one that uses a strong focal point and directional lines so that the viewers of the audience focus on the most important design elements.
Read more: Social Media advertising services
Symbolism is used in advertising to represent the brand and the company. Using symbolism, advertisers can associate a deeper meaning or message with the selling power of advertising. For example, in the ads of precious stones is often used the image of water. Both represent clarity and purity. Some common symbols include the open road, which assumes freedom, and the lion, which symbolizes strength, superiority and royal power. Colors can also be used to indicate emotions: red symbolizes love and passion; green represents life and health; black embodies sexuality and seduction.
Psychology of a key visual: options of creation
After conducting a comprehensive analysis of the product, the target audience and competitors, a marketing experts team, designer and copywriter will develop ideas for a key visual. We will rely on the vector of the brand, its history, values and positioning. To attract the attention of consumers and to arouse their emotions, one can turn to such triggers (an emotional stimulus that stimulates consumers to act):
- childhood memories;
- excursion into history (brand or country);
- youth memories;
- a painting “a day from ordinary life”;
- recommendations (stars or field specialists);
- lifestyle (target audience);
- creative approach (both visual and verbal — a play on words, for example).
Key visual creating with advertising features: thematic guidelines:
- images not directly related to the brand — for example, the “face” of the Starbucks brand;
- images associated with the brand — the cult American advertising campaign «Got Milk»;
- embedded images — for example, the red sole of Christian Louboutin shoes, which is both a symbol of the brand and a central element of advertising communications.
Read more: Product brand development
Key visual development with KATASIS: what do you get?
- Advertising image that provides brand awareness.
- Attracting the attention of the target audience of the brand and sales promotion.
- Individuality, thanks to which your brand will stand out from the competition.
- Unique verbal and graphic elements.
- Manager’s control at all stages of work.
You can create a key visual for an advertising campaign by contacting KATASIS! Let’s create together!